Friday, November 13, 2009

an imaginary trip to: london!

I was inexplicably grumpy earlier today, so I got myself a soy latte and trundled home from an unsuccessful trip to the gym, only to find myself staring out my window at the grey skies, daydreaming, & taking myself on an imaginary trip to... London!
I've been to London a couple of times for real, as my aunt lives there and a couple of my friends studied there during college, but I still feel like I don't know the city as well as I'd like to. So, off I went.

First things first-- I had to get in the English mindset, and remember to look right instead of left for oncoming traffic when crossing the street.


Then I rode the Underground all over, making sure to pick up the latest edition of London Lite, which is mostly filled with celebrity gossip instead of "real news", but that's ok.


Then I got pretty hungry, so I stopped into a pub to have a ploughman's lunch-- crusty bread, ham, cheese, and mini gherkin pickles served all together, washed down with cups of milky tea.

As I wandered the wet streets, I had been hoping to catch a glimpse of a guard dressed in his tall bearskin hat, but they were staying dry inside.

Then the sun came out, so I headed over to Notting Hill to peruse the markets and snack on fresh cream buns!

Then, the sun set (early!) so I took in the last of the city's lights with a ride on the London Eye.


And, believe it or not, my imaginary adventure really improved my mood. It was much more entertaining than studying for the GREs... that's for sure.



Photos one, five, and six courtesy of Colleen Curry, and photos two, three, and four courtesy of Christine Mykityshyn. Thank you ladies!

1 comment: